Adding Users to Your School
Here’s how you add a user to your school:
- From the sidebar navigation, head to School then Users
- Select the type of user you would like to add from the top navigation – Student, Guardian, or Staff
- Click the relevant Add button depending on the page you’re on – so, Add Student, Add Guardian or Add Staff
- Enter the name of the user that you want to add and a.school will automatically generate a username and access code for them
- Here you also have the option to include their email to send access instructions – which includes a scannable QR code and access code to activate the account – and to attach a personal note to instruct the user how to use them.
- Once you’re happy with your selection, click Add Student/Guardian/Staff
Sending Access Instructions Manually
If you don’t include the user’s email address then you can always fetch the access instructions and send them manually.
You can do this by heading to the user’s profile page.
Once there, click on the button in the upper right corner which reads User Registration Instructions and you will be presented with the scannable QR code and access code required to activate the account.
Here you can manually download the access instructions and send them to the user.
Once the user receives the access instructions, they are required to scan the QR code and enter the access code, after which they will be required to enter a new password, and their invitation will be complete.
What Happens if the User Already Exists on the a.school Database?
If you try to send access instructions to an email address that is already part of a.school, you will only be able to send them an invitation to join your school.
Invitations are sent by email and will appear in the user’s account invitations area. You can read more about accepting an invitation here.
While invitations are still pending, you won’t be able to view extended personal details of the user, send them emails, or charge their credit card. However, you can still add the user to classes, courses, and families and create invoices for them.
Invitations that aren’t accepted will expire after three months.
Canceling an Invitation
Here’s how to cancel an invitation:
- From the sidebar navigation, click School then Users
- Find the user whose invitation you wish you cancel
- Users who have received an invitation but haven’t yet accepted it will be labeled as “Pending”
- To cancel a pending invitation before it expires, then select Cancel Invitation
- The cancellation will be confirmed in a red banner at the top of the user’s page. If you change your mind, you can resend the invitation by clicking Resend Invitation
- Expired invitations will be displayed and can be re-sent in the same way
Restoring the Password of a School User Without an Email Address
If a user has a registered account without an email address and requests a new password, you can create one for them by heading to their profile, then selecting Restore Password.
You will then be provided with a temporary password for the user. Write this password down and keep it in a safe place.
Click on Enable Temporary Password to activate it.
Send the temporary password to the user. They will only be able to use this temporary password once, after which they will be requested to set a new password to continue.
Still stuck? Shoot us an email and we’ll do our best to help.